This chicken zucchini recipe is kind of Asian takeout, super quick to make and very delicious for weeknight dinners, made with chicken and zucchini soaked in the creamy sauce, but low in fat and carbs.
Keep your cravings under control with this quick and easy stir fry dish, full of garlic and soy sauce, with ginger and sesame flavour.
If you want to make it authentic like a real Chinese dish, keep in mind to cut your chicken as thin as possible. The thinner it is, the more tender and delicate it becomes. One of the tips I got is to freeze the chicken for about one hour before cutting. If it becomes frozen, don’t worry, cut the thin slices and they will thaw back in just a few minutes.
To get that silky smooth texture of your chicken, try using a technique with baking soda to tenderize your meat and get the results at home even better than when you order in restaurants. For 16 ounces chicken breast sliced very thin, use 2 teaspoons of baking soda. Evenly coat sliced chicken with baking soda and let it rest for 15 minutes. Then put the chicken to a strainer or colander and rinse a few times until the baking soda is removed. Pat dry your meat between paper towels and start preparing your dish.
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 5 mins
TOTAL TIME: 20 mins
1 pound chicken breast, sliced very thinly
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 cups zucchini, cut 1/4 inch thick half-moons (from 1 large zucchini) 1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 tablespoon minced ginger
sesame seeds and scallion for garnish, if desired
- Whisk chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin, sugar and cornstarch with sesame oil until everything is fully dissolved.
- Add one teaspoon of canola oil in a sauce pan, and heat on the medium-high temperature. Add half of the chicken and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Take out on a plate.
- Repeat the same with the other half of the chicken and canola oil. When finished, put aside on a plate.
- Add garlic and ginger with the remaining teaspoon of canola oil and heat for 45 seconds until is releases fragnance, but doesn’t get brown.
- Add the previously made sauce and stir well together. Cook it for one minute, then add zucchini and cook for another 2 minutes, until it gets thick and zucchini become crispy and tender.
- Remove from the stove, combine with the chicken and stir well until chicken is fully coated. Season with sesame seeds and scallions if you desider.
Calories: 242kcal, Carbohydrates: 17g, Protein: 28g, Fat: 6.5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 83mg, Sodium: 799mg, Fiber: 1.5g, Sugar: 8g